HomeNewsLloyd Comp joins list of schools getting more mental health supports

Lloyd Comp joins list of schools getting more mental health supports

Lloydminster Comprehensive High School has been added to the list of schools in Saskatchewan getting more mental health supports.

This as five more schools across the province will come under the Mental Health Capacity Building (MHCB) in Schools program with extra funding of $1 million.

The five schools were selected through an application-based process. Along with Lloydminster, the list is Peacock Collegiate in Moose Jaw, Carpenter High School in Meadow Lake, St. Alphonsus School in Yorkton, and Balfour Collegiate in Regina. The Saskatchewan government is spending to date $3 million on the program.

“More students will receive more support for their mental health and overall wellbeing,” says education minister Jeremy Cockrill.

The addition brings the number of schools in the program to 15 including North Battleford Comprehensive High School, and John Paul II Collegiate in North Battleford. The government says it wants to extend the program to all 27 school divisions.

The MHCB program promotes positive mental health in children, youth, families, and people in the community who interact with children. With a focus on prevention, early identification, and intervention, it also helps young people better manage their feelings and lets them know where they can find help. Through collaboration between schools, communities, and health care providers, schools serve as a resource hub for mental health programming, note officials.